Team Leader Policy and Technical Team
Job Description – Team Leader: Policy and Technical team
Reports to: Head of Policy and Technical Development
Staff Responsibilities: team comprising technical experts; training expertise and Quality assurance specialists
Overall Purpose of the role:
Your main role will be to identify and research pensions legislation and other new developments in the area of pensions and retirement policy to support TPAS’ technical expertise. You will be required to maintain an up-to-date knowledge and understanding of social security and pensions tax legislation and developments across the pensions industry. You will be responsible for the technical accuracy of the website and other publications produced by TPAS, together with the technical material used internally by your colleagues and our volunteers. You will also lead a team responsible for training, Quality Assurance and complaints
As the team leader Policy and Technical and the Senior Technical and Policy Specialist, you will be expected to lead the team that researches, identifies and undertakes analysis of changes to pensions legislation, industry guidance and other pensions and retirement planning developments.
You will be responsible for leading the team that ensures the technical accuracy of TPAS content and information products across all channels including booklets and the technical accuracy of the website. You will keep up to date with current research and research and produce new technical material and products that ensure our volunteers, our external professional audience and colleagues have the most up to date information on pensions issues.
With the executive team and Heads of Service you will ensure TPAS maintains its influence and contributes to evidence based policy-making with our key stakeholders. You will attend and report back on conferences, meetings and events; and extend our network of contacts.
You will be expected to work alongside the executive team to review and analyse the helpline trends, producing information for our external professional audience and key stakeholders. You will also be required to use the analysis to help inform the organisation’s strategic direction.
The following are the main duties:
With the executive team you will.
- Lead the provision of accurate and timely pension and retirement information and guidance technical support to those delivering TPAS customer services
- On-site and Helpline support. Provide accurate pensions information and information on issues surrounding retirement to technical specialists who need to check on their understanding of a pensions or later life issue.
- Provide timely and accurate follow up information that adds value to the services provided and is clear and easy to understand.
- Identify, research and analyse draft and final pensions and retirement legislation, determine the impact and convey in plain English what this means for TPAS clients to a variety of audiences and across all channels.
- Identify and maintain an up-to-date knowledge and understanding of other new industry developments including research
- Produce briefing notes and verbal updates for staff and volunteers on new legislation and other industry developments.
- Be responsible for ensuring TPAS’ technical materials are maintained, up-to-date, relevant and accurate, where appropriate drafting new material for use.
- Working with the Head of Service, Operational team leaders and P and T team members, design and deliver the QA plan across all channels for core business, identify issues requiring improvement and potential themes, and identify relevant remedial actions required and track through to completion
- Identify training needs from the QA process at a team and individual level.
- Lead the development and implementation of the training strategy with the training specialist; identify technical training needs for staff and volunteers, maintain the training timetable, identify and arrange speakers and organise the relevant events
- Research and analyse our helpline and dispute team queries and other relevant sources of data producing clear outputs for use by a variety of audiences.
- Identify new Government and other consultations and where appropriate, co-ordinate and draft the response to such consultations. Monitor responses by other industry groups and the outcome of the consultation, update the website and prepare staff briefing material as appropriate.
- Contribute to evidence based policy-making.
- Attend and report back on conferences, meetings and events; and extend our network of contacts
- Provide ad-hoc cover support for the public facing services in core business if appropriate and Pension Wise where agreed
- Manage the involvement of external volunteers to support the work of the team.
- Undertake any other duties as may be reasonably required within the scope of the role.
Experience, Knowledge and Qualifications:
- APMI or equivalent is preferable.
- Significant and broad pensions technical experience. The candidate is likely to have ten years pensions experience.
- Up-to-date knowledge of social security and pensions tax legislation and industry guidance, including material published by the Pensions Regulator and FCA.
- Demonstrable interest, knowledge and/or experience in policy development and the political process.
- Proven record of producing clear written and verbal technical communications.
- Evidence of good presentation skills and ability to communicate at all levels
- An ability to analyse quantitative and qualitative data
- Knowledge of state pensions is preferable but not mandatory; training can be given if required.
- A commitment to on-going personal and professional development.
Skills and Personal Qualities:
- Excellent written English and spoken communication skills with a good eye for detail.
- Ability to translate complex ideas and topics into clear English.
- Good organisational skills and the ability to manage a number of different areas of work at the same time.
- Able to work as part of a team